In recent years, more and more countries have started to consider the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes. Major brands like green the vote ok believe that the marijuana plant offers a wide range of medical benefits that will revolutionize modern-day medicine.
Medical researches have discovered that the marijuana plant or also known as “cannabis sativa” contains an estimated 480 compounds, and more or less 80 of these compounds are classified as “cannabinoids.”
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol or CBD is one of the most popular marijuana compounds which, unlike the other compounds such as Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), is non-psychoactive and non-intoxicating. By extracting the CBD from the marijuana plant, the resulting product is the CBD oil.
What is CBD Oil and its Benefits?
CDB oil is the oil extracted from the cannabis plant. It has been widely acclaimed to offer excellent health benefits such as:
- Relieve chronic pain
- Reduce depression and anxiety
- Reduce symptoms relating to cancer
- Lowers blood pressure
- Improve heart-related conditions
With its growing popularity in the medical world, questions are now raised on whether the CBD oil is safe for breastfeeding moms. Is CBD oil really safe to be used by breastfeeding moms? Do the doctors recommend it?
Should a Breastfeeding Mother Consider Using CBD Oil?
Expert opinions are divided as to the whether the CBD oil is really safe and effective to be used by breastfeeding moms.
To those who believe that CBD oil is worth considering, these are their claims:
- Postpartum Depression (PPD) is a serious mental condition most new moms experience after birth. It is triggered by hormonal and physical changes that a woman undergoes during and after pregnancy. And so, it is believed that CBD oil is effective in reducing postpartum depression.
- When a breastfeeding mom is suffering from postpartum depression, she will surely be struggling in breastfeeding her child. It could result in harming both herself and her baby. That’s why, it’s been suggested that moms should take CBD oil for it is effective in treating insomnia, severe mood swings, depression, and anxiety – all symptoms of a postpartum disorder.
As much as many believed in the great health benefits that CBD oil gives to breastfeeding moms, there are still those who are critical of its possible risks. Here are some of their concerns:
- Although CBD oil helps breastfeeding moms battle against PPD, there is insufficient medical research on the particular effects of CBD oil to infants and to the other bodily functions of the mother.
- Many believed that it can still be potentially risky to breastfeeding moms given the fact that it is extracted from a cannabis plant which can still possibly make anyone “high”.
Although there is still no thorough and conclusive study on the health benefits of CBD oil, it is essential to note that it’s way better than opioids that are highly addictive. And so, with enough research on CBD oil, its safe therapeutic uses will surely be discovered and proven.